Friday, January 13, 2012

Felt Board Awesomeness

Before Cyrilla was born I got crafty and made a felt board for her bedroom, to hang over her changing table. I imagined myself writing out sweet little messages on a regular basis... but yeah... that did not happen. The only thing I had made for the board was the alphabet and a few lame shapes. A long time ago I took it down for Cyrilla to play with, but she did not get the concept and I considered it a fail. But lately... lately Cyrilla has been really excited about the board. She even knows most of the letters and can put them on the board herself! So I thought I should make some more things for her to play with on the board and give them to her for her upcoming birthday! Here are two of the three things I planned to make. The first is all the pieces to the story The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Cyrilla had not even read the book before, but I borrowed it from a friend to get an idea for my felts and luckily it's been a hit! The second is a felt dress up doll set. Much like a paper doll, but less rip-able. Here is what I was able to come up with for these two ideas:

(First I should talk about how I made the board. Basically I had a big piece of white flannel on hand and I took an old picture frame I had on hand that was not going to be used. I took the glass out of the frame and stretched the flannel over it, tapping/securing it to the cardboard on the back. I then put the frame back together and volia, instant flannel board!)

Here's my The Very Hungry Caterpillar flannel/felt board set:







Most of my inspiration came from Googling "felt board Very Hungry Caterpillar" and then just looking at the images. It's amazing what's out there!  


Next I decided to do some felt "paper dolls". I was really pumped about this one because I got an amazing template from this blog:
 http://racheldenbow.blogspot.com/2010/12/dress-up-felt-board-tutorial-and.html

I actually got so excited making these dolls and clothes that it would take me a long time to fall asleep at night because I'd just dream up more and more dresses I could make, but I think I've done enough... I mean, she likely won't even get the idea of this set until a bit later, but man oh man was it fun to make! 

My dress up doll fashionista felt set:









Next I plan on doing a big tree and working on all the seasons. I'll be sure to post that one too when it's done. The hardest part of all of this: waiting until April to give them to my little girl! Momma wants to play!!!

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing! Are you on Etsy? You should sell your stuff! I'd buy it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be on etsy, but it was a fail :) So now I just make awesome things for my kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these!! Wow! Wow! Wow! :) :) Will have to get my creative hat on! :)

    ReplyDelete