Sunday, March 15, 2009

What would you do with one third of your life back?

My husband has this new ipod touch. Sometimes I think he loves it more than he loves me... and why wouldn't he? I can't play hilarious youtube clips on my belly and I don't make food like you find on thisiswhyyourfat.com. Nope, I just have the same old stories, the same old information, and can't seem to download information like I once could. But recently Dan informed me during one of his ipod searching sessions that he just read that the average person spends one third of their life on the Internet! I couldn't believe it! One third?! If I'm spending one third of my entire life on the Internet that means that only two thirds is left over for living, and if you subtract sleeping, grooming, cleaning, driving, working, and doing all the other menial tasks we don't enjoy, how much is left for the fun stuff? The stuff I imagine I would do if I wasn't at work. I know we all do it. While working we can think of 101 things we would rather be doing, but as soon as we get through our front door all of those wonderful ideas seem to run out our ears onto the floor never to be found again and all we can think to do is check our email or facebook, or watch TV. So I can't help but think, when I'm 87 and getting ready to quietly slip away into new life will I be thinking "gosh, I sure am glad I invested all that time into looking up Britney Spears new look, and all those hours of aimlessly searching the Internet have really paid off"... You know, I think I'd rather have different thoughts. Maybe memories of things I actually did instead of reading about other people doing...
In reality my Internet time might not decrease so much, but I would like to think I would be more aware of the hours mindlessly slipping by, and that maybe, just maybe I would actually write down my awesome "I would rather be doing this than working" ideas and laminate them and maybe post them on my fridge so next time, I choose to go out and live a little rather than sit by and watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment